Sublets, Brynstock, Dance Shows, and Food Tours

Bryn Mawr students have been so happy that spring is here! We can finally take advantage of everything the tri-co and greater Philadelphia area has to offer outside! The hammocks are up so we can relax and enjoy the sun and the flowers are blooming, making the whole campus radiate with pink.

The traditional Bryn Mawr flower photo shoot

The traditional Bryn Mawr flower photo shoot (photo credit: Alia Luz ’13)

Photo credit: Alia Luz '13

Photo credit: Alia Luz ’13

550342_10200583733011812_196123148_n

Enjoying the hammocks! Photo credit: Alia Luz ’13

This past weekend was jam-packed with fun activities, all centering around the celebration of food, music, and art! On Friday, my friend Alia and I ventured into West Philly to look into one of my possible options for subletting for the summer. The house was beautiful, my room would be huge, there are two cats, there’s air conditioning (my poor Pacific NW self is used to mild summers and the thought of intense Philly humid heat terrifies me) and there were tons of cute restaurants around the neighborhood. I’ll be heading back tomorrow night to meet with my potential roommates but I really hope it works out!

Kilmandjaro: plantains and lambchops (photo credit: Alia Luz '13)

Kilmandjaro: plantains and lambchops (photo credit: Alia Luz ’13)

The past few weeks have been filled with sending e-mails and checking out potential sublets (thanks to all my wonderful friends who accompanied me on these journeys into the city!) This one has been one of my favorite places so far and is a very reasonable price so here’s hoping it works out! I have a few back up options as well. I am hoping to stay in West Philly, even though my internship will be about a half hour away by public transportation, due to the neighborhood feel, being around other college students/young professionals, having lots of fun things to do around the area, and being in close proximity to grocery stores because my internship is located in a food desert, meaning there are no affordable grocery stores within reasonable distance of where I’ll be. After checking out the house, my friend and I got Senegalese food! We were greeted with Azonto, my favorite song from Ghana, playing in the background when we arrived. I ordered lamb chops and plantains and received HUGE delicious portions! It made me super excited to live in the city during the summer and have so many cool places at my fingertips to try.

Brynstock!

Brynstock!

The next day was Art Club’s spring event: Brynstock! It was “hippie” themed so we had tie-dye, henna, paper marbling, macrame making, mural painting, clay button making, and we had a craft set up to represent our program that teaches art classes at a local elementary school. We also had lots of delicious food with chocolate chip muffins, brownie bites, and a Philly favorite: soft pretzels! We had lots people come out and enjoy the sunny (albeit the wind) weather. It was tons of fun and for those who missed it, we will be

My future customspeople doing henna

My future customspeople doing henna

having Brynstock part 2 this Thursday from 8PM to 10PM in Arnecliffe studio. That evening, I went with my friend to see the Rhythm and Motion, a tri-co dance troupe, perform at Swarthmore. They were incredible and put on a great show! I was sad to have to leave half way through but it always amazes me to see how students can come together to put on such a spectacular performance, especially with dancers from three different colleges.

Mural making

Mural making

Macrame making

Macrame making

Showing off her henna

Showing off her henna

Paper marbling

Paper marbling

Tie-dying

Tie-dying

On Sunday, I was up early to head out for the Food Scavenger Hunt that was graciously organized by Student Activities. Since I love food and scavenger hunts, I was freaking out with excitement when I found out this event was being offered. Even better, many of my closest friends also signed up for the trip so we got to explore and enjoy food together. For only five dollars, we were provided with transportation, a soft pretzel, a fun scavenger hunt around the Northern Liberties neighborhood, and ending with a meal at a Mexican restaurant.

Food tour team: the HipSTARS

Food tour team: the HipSTARS

I had always heard about the Northern Liberties part of Philadelphia but had never been there myself. The Piazza is located there, a large plaza where many free concerts take place (which I most definitely plan on attending this summer). It’s also where lots of popular brunch places are. I got excited running around as I saw places like Honey’s and Green Eggs Cafe, both places I’ve always wanted to go. We split into teams of four and had just over an hour to try and decipher all of the clues to write down as many correct answers as possible.

Northern Liberties mural

Northern Liberties mural

Although my time didn’t get through all the clues, luckily my friend was on the winning team and shared her prize with me: a peanut butter and jelly cookie! We ended the hunt with lunch at El Camino, a delicious Mexican restaurant where we dined on chips and salsa (the secret ingredient is liquid smoke) and burritos. It was a great way to break up the monotony of meetings and homework of a typical Sunday. I can’t wait to visit Northern Liberties again this summer to explore more and actually check out many of the places we only saw in passing!

I'm glad our friendship is based on a mutual love for food

I’m glad our friendship is based on a mutual love for food

Mexican food at the end of the food tour

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , by Amanda Beardall. Bookmark the permalink.

About Amanda Beardall

I am a senior psychology major (minoring in child and family studies and environmental studies) from Portland, Oregon. I am involved with the Civic Engagement Office, Art Club, admissions, dorm leadership, and teaching art classes at a local elementary school. I studied abroad in Denmark, did an internship in Indonesia, and took a 360 course cluster that traveled to Ghana.